Monday, April 4, 2011

A word (and a winner!) from my lovely editor

As most of you know, Sourcebooks recently asked for your feedback on a couple titles they're considering for my debut novel.

They're now mulling the data and all your wonderful comments. Thank you so much from all of us for being a part of the process!

I asked my editor, the amazing Deb Werksman, to choose a winner. Much to my surprise, she did not do so by fetching a giant bucket of balls or employing the services of a giant Cheerio-eating fish.

She used logic and reason.

It's possible this is the reason publishers pick titles instead of authors.

Deb chose Allie Sanders, who left the following, thoughtful comment:

I went with Making Waves for a lot of reasons.
  1. Rock the Boat makes me think of that Janet Evanovich romance "Love Overboard" which isn't a bad comparison from me but I like something different.
  2. I already have "Making Waves" on my wish list & have a high chance of forgetting it if you change the name.
  3. Making Waves sounds more fun than Rocking the Boat. Everyone says not to do that but a large portion of people enjoy waves. Why else vacation at the ocean?
  4. I already told my gran she should buy Making Waves because Tawna cracks me up & I have a feeling book will too. It'd be a long conversation trying to explain the name change.
Congratulations to Allie, who wins a signed advance reading copy of the book as soon as it's available.

For Allie and everyone else who helped with this process, editor Deb would like to share the following message:

From Deb Werksman

Thank you so much to everyone who voted and everyone who left comments. Now we’re going to analyze what you all thought, and put our heads together on the next step. Since the voting was pretty close to split, we need to do some more thinking and analysis. As soon as Tawna knows what’s next, she’ll let you know! Thanks again and congrats to the winner, who really took us through her thought process.


And thanks again from me as well! It's fabulous to see your level of excitement about the process and this book. I really appreciate you being a part of it. Big, slobbery, butt-grabbing smooches to all of you!

13 comments :

Linda G. said...

Congrats to Allie Sanders! Good reasons, all. :)

And you know what? Your book is GREAT, no matter what title they go with, and people will buy it because your name is on it.

abby mumford said...

ditto to what linda said.

Allie Sanders said...

Aww, this just made my day all the better, and it started out a pretty good day. I can't wait to see the final product.

Summer Frey said...

Absolutely! Although I still have a soft spot for Pirate Bitch in my heart.

Matthew MacNish said...

I find it very interesting how much thought and work goes into these kind of things.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! :) I like that title!

S.A. Larsenッ said...

So wonderful! Congrats Allie.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

How did I miss this? Making Waves sounds awesome. Reminds me of being at a water park, and who doesn't love a water park?

Shain Brown said...

Congrats Allie. So Lucky! I love it, and can't wait to read it.

Clever Cherry said...

Congrats Allie.

Jeez, Tawna you sure have the appropriate editor with the whole butt-grabbing sign off.

I favor Making Waves but I'll buy the book no matter what the title is. I am so looking forward to it.
Judy, Judy, Judy

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Congratulations, Allie, and I have to agree with Clever Cherry. Sounds like Tawna lucked into a perfect fit with her butt-grabbing editor. Love it!

TAWNA FENSKE said...

LOL, you guys...the butt grabbing comment was mine (which may not be apparent if you're reading an RSS feed or something, but I set her comment apart from mine with italics and a different colored font on the actual blog).

Deb's comment ends with "took us through her thought process," though for the record, I don't think the butt-grabbing comment would be all that out of line for her.

Thanks for reading!
Tawna

Harley May said...

Congrats to Allie! I am not filled with envy at all over not winning the ARC! Not bitter whatsoever. Nope. Not me.

*shakes fist at the heavens*